Tooth Extractions Aftercare
Please follow the instructions below for the most comfortable and rapid healing after your dental extraction(s).
After Your Extraction
- No Talking, Rinsing, Spitting, Smoking or Sucking through a Straw for 24 hours.
- Bite with firm pressure on the gauze sponge in your mouth for 30-45 minutes If the area is still oozing you may bite on damp folded gauze for 15 more minutes (or use a dampened tea bag- black tea).
- No lifting, bending or sports for at least 24 hours. Keep your head elevated above your heart for 24 hours.
- Use an ice pack 15 minutes on then 15 minutes off for an hour or two following the extraction.
- 24 hours after the extraction start your salt water rinses three times per day for three days in a row. Do this after each meal to remove food debris. Use 1 teaspoon of salt to each cup of very warm water.
- Cover your pillow tonight with a towel to avoid staining.
- Take medications as directed by the doctor. Do not take medication on an empty stomach!
- Eat soft foods only for a few days to avoid disturbing the extraction site(s). These include scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, rice, pasta, etc.
- If pain, swelling or bleeding persist please call the office at 407-351-3213 for further directions.